A Tribute to: John Hazen
Founder of Haverhill, New Hampshire

HAZEN PARK

John Hazen was born August 11th, 1731 in Haverhill, Massachusetts. He died at Haverhill, N. H., just before the Revolutionary War, in 1774. After the surrender of Montreal, Sept. 1760, Lieut.-Col. Jacob Bayley, Capt. John Hazen, Lieut. Jacob Kent, and Lieut. Timothy Bedell returned to Hampstead through the Connecticut Valley, and stopped at Coos. They were completely taken with the area. In the spring of 1762, Capt. John Hazen arrived at what is now North Haverhill and began to build a sawmill and a grist mill. He also built the first wood framed home in Haverhill. Haverhill, NH, is most likely the only town in New Hampshire that has never memorialized its founder. The establishment of Hazen Park is the first sign of recogintion given to John Hazen.
The park is on the original Hazen farm site.
The only remains are the foundation, root cellar, and the barn ramp. The park will, hopefully be open for the 250th Anniversary celebration of bot Haverhill, NH, and Newbury, Vt, in 2013 Park features will includes various nature walking paths, as well was a walk around the 300 foot oval garden paralleling the beautiful Connecticut River.
There will be a canoe-kayak entrance from the river and 6 private picnic areas.
Historical "Memory Boards" will be exhibited throughout the park

email for more information
info@wmtn.biz
TOUR THE PARK


COME BACK OFTEN TO SEE OUR PROGRESS......
THE PARK IS UNDER THE AUSPICES OF THE
HAVERHILL HERITAGE COMMISSION
Donations should be sent to:

HAVERHILL HERITAGE COMMISSION
James Morrell Building, North Haverhill, NH
03774